Sunday 23 September 2012

A brief one this week

I haven't blogged last week because I've been busy moving house, now I have arrived in my new surroundings I missed yesterdays game due to a much needed catch-up with old friends but it sounds like the same old problems seem to be cropping up.

I was very disappointed to see the result yesterday I really thought we'd turned the corner against Notts County and as disappointing the result against Scunthorpe was there was glimpses from the team that we had the quality to see us compete higher up the table. But before I could even check the score I got a text from my mate who happened to be there which read "1-0 Brentford another sloppy mistake at the back", the reality of supporting a poor team then returns.

Following the result yesterday there seems to be a larger number of supporters wanting to see a change in management and whilst I understand their point of view I'm not quite there yet in becoming a "Dickov Outer." But what I will say is that he now needs to earn his keep in the job it seems that the players aren't learning from the same mistakes that seem to be happening week after week.

My initial thoughts a few weeks ago were that we didn't have enough players in the squad to compete, we've seen three players come in which was important. But now these players are in who clearly have a quality Dickov needs to stop emphasising the performance as much as he does in post-match interviews and focus more on the little things that seem to be making the difference at the moment like the slip-ups in defence and missed chances. I can't doubt the commitment we see from the players week in week out under Dickov but it's all very well and good putting the hard work in maintaining possession and creating the chances but you the fact of the matter is that if you switch off for one minute then you will get punished as we saw yesterday and on other occasions this season. If you take your mind back 10 years ago we had probably our best side since the Premier League days, ok it helped that we had the funding but the key ingredient to that team was the solid defence, can anyone recall a defensive howler from the back 3 of that side? If it was 2 points for a win instead of 3 then that side would of got automatic promotion they were hard to beat and it is a key formula at our level of Football. At the same time when we are on the attack we need to make the chances count, having midfielders who were prepared to gamble in the final third would certainly be a start but we need to recreate that feeling when the ball comes into the box that a goal is imminent. We need to be more clinical otherwise this could be the year we finally drop out of the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment