Sunday 18 November 2012

Sometimes it has to be more than just a game

Long ques for Liverpool tickets - maybe if these people attended more often we wouldn't be relying on loan signings to keep us in the Division


 



Ok yesterday was truly awful, I didn't go but I assume we conceded at least two of the goals from failing to mark at the back, if you ask me personally Dickov has reached his sell-by date at our club, his teams seem to always make the same mistakes and his post-match interviews are sounding like a broken record. Added to yesterday’s result, to rub salt in the wounds Craig Davies equalises for Barnsley costing me £55 on my accumulator! I haven't blogged for a while as the Uni work is now taking its toll but there is something I feel I have to get off my chest.

As crap as the last few games have been I still wish I could have attended every one, you might call me mad but I'm sick to death of this grim attitude that a lot of our fans seem to have. I question why these people even bother and you could say people have always had this attitude but when you look back at the crowds we used to get you wonder whether it is something new. It seems that every time the club announces something on the facebook page you are guaranteed someone will post a cynical snide comment usually along the lines of "look at me I don't go anymore".

So I put this question to these people, if you really don't care about the club why are you commenting on the clubs facebook page? If you are one of those fans who made the effort to travel down to Bournemouth and feel let down then I feel you're complaint is justified, but whenever I go on a long distance away trip I usually see the same old faces. A lot of people love to make the point that they never watch us anymore, there may be many different reasons but if one of them is that we don't win enough games then I really think you have the same cowardly attitude that a lot of Glory Hunters have. As much as everyone wants it to happen when you put your cash over the turnstiles one thing that you will never ever be guaranteed is that you will see your team win.

Maybe I just have a different outlook on life, I live in a city with two clubs with a reasonably decent support and people I know who follow Sheff Wednesday and Sheff United could argue that their club deserves more because their club is backed by a larger following. Like I said in the previous blog, attendances and reputations should never guarantee success but on the other hand I really think the attitudes of some Latics fans need to change. As Joe Royle used to point out, if the punters aren't going to put money through the turnstiles then the transfer budget is always going to be small. If you're going to whinge about us not splashing out for Jose Baxter and Matt Derbyshire, yet you can't be bothered to attend then as far as I'm concerned your argument is flawed. You could argue that Oldham is a poor place but so too is Sheffield, Barnsley, Middlesbrough and Hull and I know for a fact a number of clubs from those areas are looking at Baxter, not all of them have a sugar Daddy either. Sheffield Wednesday are reportedly paying Kieran Lee three times what we paid him.

The glory years were a long, long time ago now and there are fully grown adults now who have never known Oldham Athletic Football Club to be anything more than an average third tier side. It's not what any of us want to be, especially seeing not just the Manchester Corporations push-on to glory but the clubs we were on a level playing field with once, like Huddersfield, Blackpool and possibly Tranmere. But one thing I have noticed is how the likes of Huddersfield, Blackpool even yesterdays opponents Bournemouth haven't seen a dip in attendances as bad as what we've seen in the last 4 years or so. The way I see it, if the fans don't turn up then we don't really have much right to moan that we're not progressing as a club, this "if you build it they will come" attitude is nothing more than a fantasy in the topsy turvy world of Lower League Football.

If only our fans had a different outlook on Football, the days out to random towns, the funny chants, the banter with your mates is to me what makes it all worthwhile. The point is, that when people say that Football is more than a game to me it's because the result isn't always to be all and end all, it doesn't elevate us as human beings when I get mocked by narrow-minded Sky Hype, corporation supporting morons. I pity the fact they don't truly understand what supporting a Football club is actually about but maybe some of our fans are just as bad. None of our fans are happy with what is going on, on the field but let’s not be cowards and turn our backs on the club and remember why we do this to ourselves; it’s more than just a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment